Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Tabletop Artist's Statement

Sorry for the lateness of this entry--without further ado:

Obviously, I took a very minialist approach to this assignment, because that is always my preference. My project, essentially, was a live-drawn picure of a scientist holding a film canister, excaiming "This is my most experimental film YET!" I didn't know I could have adjusted the zoom prior to shooting, so the text was mostly cut off of the video, but this is what it intended to say in entirety. The message is a kind of double-edged satire, both of the heavy emphasis of experimental film, virtually to the exclusion of studying contemporary commercial film in a program filled with people trying to take advantage of contemporary commercial film moving to the State of Wisconsin, but also of the idea that the "experimental film maker" is nothing more than a petty novelist who peddles an amorphous artistic sensibility in place of a more tangible meaning in their films.

I feel as though several my numerous rough drafts were much better than the final product, because I underestimated to amount of concentration required to maintain a whistled tune, a last-second addition, throughout the process. Given a second chance, I'd have done it silently. Still, I think the scumbly nature of the line made it difficult to discern exactly what I was drawing until the end, which should serve to maintain interest until the end.

No comments: